The next episode of NTIWTKOT Radio is Sunday January 30, 2011 at 6:30 pm. Go to http://www.blogtalkradio.com/ntiwtkot/2011/01/30/skye-versus-the-volcano-guess-who-won to check us out. Feel free to call in at (714) 202-9929…you know how I love feedback! To hear our last episode on demand, go to http://www.blogtalkradio.com/ntiwtkot
Monthly Archives: January 2011
It’s been well established that I’m a sucker for harmony, which seems kind of antithetical to liking a soap, which as a genre is built around conflict. Maybe it’s the Pisces (IF that’s my real sign…LOL) in me. I recognize that if soaps were primarily harmonious, it would probably be pretty boring. But still….I eat it up when I see Lauren and Jill getting along and Abby and Victoria being sisterly. Hell, I may have been one of the few who actually liked it when Victor was sick and he and Jack got along or when they work together.
Which brings me to the point of this post….I want to see Nick and Adam get on the same page. Nick’s never had a brother and has always been sort of a one-note character, a bit of a lunk. Given how Nick’s never had a brother (or now that I think about it, he’s never really had any male friends…I don’t trust guys who don’t have any buddies), you would think that he would at least be intrigued by the idea. They could actually make a decent team…Adam the cerebral one, Nick the emotional one. I would love to see the Newman brothers unite against some common enemy, maybe if they’d actually make Tucker McCall a dynamic character and an actual threat, maybe they could have the Newmans unite to save the company.
As Barry Speck said in Dinner for Schmucks “You may think that I’m a dreamer, but I’m not…” Not that I watch that kind of thing….
There’s something else you don’t know about me, Joe Rogan. (c)Tyrone Biggums
My dream was to be a Psychologist. Better yet, my dream was to have a private practice and provide therapeutic services to adolescents. Because I had great GRE scores coming out of Hampton University, I was kind of steered towards Ph.D. programs and Psy.D. programs. I went to work on a Ph.D. in Clinical Psychology for 3 years and had a great GPA, but in an ironic twist, I had the worst case of writers’ block in history and ran out of funding before finishing. I intended to go back, but started making full time money, and now a wife and two sons later, it’s probably not in the cards.
I say all this to say that I know a little something about mental health treatment. With that background, how in the bluest of hells would a trained mental health professional think it’s a good idea to completely disrupt the life of an ex-husband to help his scheming “amnesiac” ex-wife? It’s all kinds of unethical and just plain wrong. The Young and The Restless handles many issues with kid gloves, but they’re so ham-handed with the portrayal of both mental health professionals and the mentally ill. From Emily Peterson marrying her bat-shit crazy client’s obsession to this Kevin and Jana debacle to Sharon’s private room to Ashley’s voluntary commitment to Adam’s manipulation and the depiction of the patients as 1 dimensional loony birds, the portrayal leaves a lot to be desired, to say the least. Again, it’s a great dramatic opportunity for Y & R that they won’t take in order to take shortcuts. How interesting would it be for Sharon, for instance, to realize she was Bipolar? It could create some Emmy-worthy scenes and could explain a lot of her past behaviors. If you doubt the dramatic potential of such a development, I dare you to check out “An Unquiet Mind” by Kay Redfield Jamison.
Anyway, I really hope this storyline ends quickly…it just makes me uncomfortable…not that I watch that kind of thing
Hey y’all…Happy New Year!
I had a bit of a hiatus as I was off from work and home with my sons for the past few weeks…I’m just getting back to a sense of “normalcy.” Funny enough, during my time at home with the boys, I really didn’t have time to watch Y &R and blog about it. The situation just kind of shows the absurdity of housewives being the ones who watch soaps. It seems fate is not without sense of irony (c) Morpheus from The Matrix.
At any rate, I could not come back and not write about the death of Skye. It’s the worst fictional death since Samuel L. Jackson got ate by a mickey fickey shark in Deep Blue Sea. It’s bad on two levels….
- There’s lots of ways to die…impaling, electrical shock, gunshot, hanging, even disembowling a la William Wallace. One of the worst had to be my beautiful Skye falling into an active volcano. Here’s what lava can do…it can turn from this into this. It’s a horrible way to go (*Anakin only survived because he had The Force to sustain him).
- From a storyline standpoint, it’s the worst death ever because the Skye character had so much potential and was intriguing. Soaps have done more absurd stuff before, but it’s pretty hard to argue that Skye somehow survived the lava pit. Maybe they’ll pull a Bardwell and bring Laura Stone back as Skye’s long lost twin Ground or Rain or something like that.
In other random thoughts:
- I fear jail. I will never break the law because I’m far too pretty to go to jail…I like taking a shower in private. I’m a picky eater. I HATE being told what to do. Plus I’m claustrophobic. That said, if I had to do jail, I need the Adam Newman treatment. This bama is apparently the only inmate, has unlimited visiting hours, unsupervised visits from his hot (though clearly psychotic) girlfriend to the point where he was kissing her between the bars (I can’t make this stuff up) and lots of privacy.
- I’ve often praised Daniel’s common sense. However, he could have easily avoided his hospitalization and Daisy’s escape by simply lying. Pretend you’re trying to get some of that Sociopathic booty….when she says we can still run away together, just say yeah…and drive her ass to the nearest hospital. There, problem solved.
- The new DA Spencer Walsh….I’m cracking up at his inability to completely hide his Jamaican accent. Maybe I’m just more sensitive to it because my wife is Jamaican, but it’s unmistakable.
- Shout out to Kevin and Chloe finally getting together. I marked out for when they finally kissed.
- Buckdown to Jana. C’mon, son…But then again, she has to believe that Kevin will come back. After all, after she tried to murder Kevin and Colleen, Kevin not only took her back but got a surgery done for her. Still, I’m annoyed by her.
- Is it me or is Nina getting kind of hot?
- Just this once, can Jack finally beat Victor (but without lasting damage to Victor)?
- I’m a sucker for harmony, so I love to see Jill and Lauren as well as Victoria and Abby getting along. Speaking of which, I’ll be back tomorrow with a storyline idea that would involve two enemies getting together.
Not that I watch that kind of thing, but that’s it for now.
The next episode of NTIWTKOT Radio is Sunday January 30, 2011 at 6:30 pm. Go to http://www.blogtalkradio.com/ntiwtkot/2011/01/30/skye-versus-the-volcano-guess-who-won to check us out. To hear our last episode on demand, go to http://www.blogtalkradio.com/ntiwtkot!